The Romeo and Juliet Album
Although the exact chronology of Shakespeare’s plays is still open to conjecture, it is now reasonably certain that the tragic story of two ‘star-crossed lovers’ known the world over as Romeo and Juliet is a relatively early opus, dating from around 1596, some four years before Hamlet and ten years before Macbeth and King Lear.
The basic plot is sheer simplicity: two warring families — the Montagues and Capulets — have hated each other for so long that no-one can remember why. Romeo (a Montague) and Juliet (a Capulet) fall passionately in love, but are ultimately crushed beneath the senseless animosity of their respective families’ inexorable feud.
1–3. Rota Romeo and Juliet (Soundtrack to the Franco Zeffirelli film)
— Love Theme / Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
What Light Through Yonder Window Breaks
4. Armstrong Romeo + Juliet (Soundtrack to the Baz Luhrmann film)
— Balcony Scene
5–9. Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet — Ballet
The Young Juliet / Dance of the Knights / Balcony Scene /
Romeo’s Variation / Love Dance
10. Tchaikovsky Romeo and Juliet — Fantasy Overture
11. Delius A Village Romeo and Juliet — The Walk to the Paradise Garden
12. Rota ‘Ai giocchi addio’ (arr. Love Theme)
13. Bernstein West Side Story — ‘Somewhere’